Tuesday, 1 September 2015

ONE | Talk about it



Being a believer in this current climate is the hardest thing ever!!

Trying to uphold and maintain my Christian values and ultimately my relationship with God, while all this craziness ensues, specifically over in the States - police brutality, corruption, senseless murders, racism etc. - is becoming a daily battle to keep my insanity and not spazz out!

Seriously.

I'm naturally a calm, laid-back person but I'm also extremely passionate and it's hard to maintain that calm, laid-back attitude when there's so much injustice affecting my fellow brothers and sisters. Admittedly, I usually wouldn't let it affect my spirit too much, but having spent more than 6+ months in the States between last year and this year (the height of murders by police in the US), there's no way I could not take notice when everyday if not, everyday, there was a case every night on the news. One of the most significant cases while I was there was of 50-year-old Walter Scott in Charleston, South Carolina (note: just a few miles from the shooting at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston back in June, I was in the States when that happened too but that's for another post).

Since then there have been numerous other shootings and instances of thoughtless police brutality; kids, women and of course the Charleston church tragedy and it gets to a point where you, for a split second, contemplate this never ending.

But then I'm reminded by God, these are the times when we need to be praying the most and talking to him on a daily basis for peace of mind, wisdom, patience and most importantly, love.
It's the lack of love we have for each other as human beings that got us here in the first place, but it's not too late.

As long as we're still living, breathing, there's always another chance to make a difference and turn things around.

I can never lose my faith, ever because of what God has promised. He never said everything would be harmonic all the time and through the trials and tribulations we learn wisdom and crucial life lessons about ourselves, each other and the Lord almighty. What we learn, we later pass onto the next generation, the ones coming up after us and so on and so forth

As long as we ride these waves, go through these tough seasons while looking to him and seeking him throughout, we'll start to reap the blessings and favour God has promised us.


I honestly believe that people in power need to speak up more about these issues and speak life into these situations. It's like, you've been given this platform to talk about whatever you want, why not use it responsibly? To do good? 
I love what Kendrick LamarJ. Cole have been doing, music with substance, and so much truth - you really have to commend them for being able to stay mainstream and still able to hold an audience and get people to listen.

('To Pimp A Butterfly' and the movie 'Straight Outta Compton' partly inspired this loooong overdue post)

If that isn't inspiration for using your talents for good, I don't know what is...

We all need to step it up to be quite honest, myself included and not necessarily for us but for the generations to come. I love that their has been an influx of organisations and grassroots efforts in the wake of this current wave. There really is no excuse in this day and age, so I really encourage anyone reading this - let's do something! 

Something is better than nothing. 

I'm not saying we need to organise protests every week or hold rallies but we actually have healthy discussions and educate ourselves instead of speaking out of ignorance or naivety. 

Be encouraged and stay positive, things have already started changing, let's keep the momentum going. 


No comments:

Post a Comment